When you get your credit report, you may find information on it that is not correct. When that happens, you’ll need to understand how to dispute an error on your credit report. Here, we will explain how mistakes wind up on credit reports and how to fix them.

Three major credit reporting agencies; Equifax, Experian and TransUnion, maintain credit information about consumers. These companies are competitors and they each collect and maintain their own individual reports about consumers. In other words, they don’t share information with each other. The data they collect is compiled into credit reports, also referred to as “credit files” or “credit histories.”

Your credit report is a record of how you’ve managed credit accounts, including credit cards, auto loans, mortgages, and personal loans. Some types of accounts – such as medical debt or utility accounts – are not usually reported unless those bills go to collections.

How To Spot Mistakes: The only way to find mistakes on your credit reports it to review them yourself. You can get free copies of your credit reports once each year from each of the three major credit reporting agencies, or you can get a copy of all 3 of your reports and credit scores through Smart Credit credit monitoring service. This way, you can monitor your credit scores each month. If your score changes dramatically, it may be a sign that there is a mistake on your report.

How Do Mistakes Happen?

The details on your free credit report have been supplied by creditors and gathered from public record sources, such as the court system in the case of bankruptcies or judgments. If a creditor or other source that gathers this information makes a mistake (typing in an address wrong or Social Security number, for example), that error may wind up on your credit reports.

Also, keep in mind that credit reports are only compiled when they are requested. When you or a creditor requests your credit report or credit score. To do that, the credit reporting agencies will try to “match” account information they have in their databases to the consumer for which the report has been ordered. Usually, that process works fine, but sometimes information about relatives or other consumers with similar names can get mixed up with yours.

Finally, if you have been inconsistent in the information you’ve used when filling out applications (using different variations of your name or address, for example), that can show up as an error on your reports.

How Do You Correct Mistakes on Your Credit Report?

The first step in disputing a credit report mistake is to understand whether an item is wrong or not. That sounds logical but it can be trickier than you realize.

For example, your credit report may list an inquiry from a company you don’t recognize, but if that company accessed your credit report, the credit reporting agency is legally obligated to report that inquiry. Or your report may show a collection account that you paid off. While you may think it should be removed because you paid it, under federal law it can be reported for up to seven years and six months from the date you fell behind with the original creditor, regardless of whether it has been paid. 

Once you have established that an item is wrong, you can dispute it.

You can contact the lender (or collection agency) who is reporting the wrong information, the credit reporting agency that lists the mistake, or both. Asking the creditor to fix it may be the simplest approach because if they do agree they made a mistake, they will be required to transmit the correction to all the agencies to which they report. That saves you the extra step of having to dispute it with other agencies that may be reporting the same incorrect information.

However, it’s also important to note that to protect your legal rights under federal law, you must send a written copy of your dispute to the credit reporting agencies, not just the creditor. Therefore, if you find a serious mistake or if you are having trouble getting an item corrected, make sure you also report the error directly to the credit bureau(s).

Dispute an Error Online or By Mail

If you ordered your reports online you will have the option of disputing it online or by mail.

Online disputes are fast and convenient; however, you may not be able to include documentation to back up your side of the story. So if you have proof that an item is wrong, you may want to send a written dispute and include the records you would like them to review. If you do file a credit report dispute by mail, be sure to send it via certified mail and keep a copy for your records.

Credit reporting agencies and creditors who receive a credit dispute are required by law to investigate a dispute and report the results of their investigation back to the consumer within 30 days, in most situations.

Start Disputing

If you have ordered your credit report through AnnualCreditReport.com or another credit report service, and you have noticed errors reporting on your credit reports, the best option is to dispute by mail to protect your consumer rights.

If you have negative, erroneous accounts reporting on your credit reports, and you need assistance with getting it resolved, become a client of our credit repair services and we’ll do all the work for you. Our team will dispute negative marks, communicate with the credit reporting agencies and creditors on your behalf- leaving you to reserve your time for the things you love.

Or become a member of the Flyy Credit University and we’ll teach you step-by-step how to repair, rebuild and protect your credit, and restore your good name. Start your journey to better credit today!


  1. How To Buy a House With Little Money Down and Bad Credit – FLYY Credit Solutions

    […] If your scores are low, it’s time to take action. And, unfortunately, repairing your credit isn’t as straightforward as it should be, whether the issue is errors on your report or blemishes you need to make right. […]

  2. Terroyln Heath


    I need assistance removing derogatory reports from my credit report.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>