The shopping cart trick, also known as the soft pull trick, is a clever method that allows people with bad credit to get a credit card. The shopping cart trick relies on the fact that many websites will pre-approve you for a credit card during the checkout process without actually checking your score. This means you can get a card without a “hard pull” (which damages your score) and also means you can still get a card with bad credit. This article will guide you step by step how to do the shopping cart trick so you can build your credit score and get back on the right path.
Things to Know Before You Try the Shopping Cart Trick
- You must be opted in for credit card offers. If you have never submitted the form to opt out, you can probably skip this step. If you have ever received a promotion in the mail, chances are you are opted in which is perfect. Change your status to opt-in at this website: https://www.optoutprescreen.com/. This has to be done for the shopping cart trick to work.
- Turn off your popup blocker or anti-spam tool. The offers for credit cards will be appearing on your screen during the checkout screen, and if your popup blocker is off, you won’t be able to see the preapproval offer. You can always turn it back on after you get the cards you want.
- Don’t enter your full social security #. If the shopping cart trick works, you should only have to input the LAST 4 DIGITS of your social. If you have to enter the full social, it will result in a hard pull and you may be denied the card. Just keep that in mind.
- Works with all credit. As far as I know, the shopping cart trick is the only method that allows you to get a credit card with any credit score. I’ve seen people with a 350 score get a credit card this way!
- Only works with Comenity Bank. You’d be surprised with how many stores use Comenity bank for their credit cards. You can find a list of comenity bank store credit cards below.
- Credit Cards are only one factor in obtaining a high credit score. If you have unfairly reported derogatory marks on your credit history (such as inaccurate late payments, collection accounts, bankruptcies, etc), it’s probably worth it to work to get these negatives removed. Doing so can help raise your credit score. I suggest using our Flyy Credit University to accomplish this step.
Comenity Credit Card List
The following stores have a comenity store credit card offer, and have been tested to work with the shopping cart trick. To start, select a few off the list that you want, and save the websites for later. I always recommend only focusing on three sites at a time, and if they fail, moving on to three more.
Abercrombie & Fitch
Bath & Body Works
King Size Direct
One Stop Plus
Overstock (Be careful with your social on this one! Only enter last 4! Use 0’s for the first 5 numbers of your ssn)
How to Do the Shopping Cart Trick (Step by Step)
- Clear your browser history, cookies, and cache. You must do this before trying the shopping cart trick. If you’re using Chrome, you can open a new window in incognito mode to bypass this step. Just hold Ctrl+Shift+N to open a new window without cookies or history.
- Go to the site you want the credit card from and create a new account. Most of the time you can find the create account link at the top of the page. You want to enter your email address, phone number, and mailing address. Remember to use the same info you would find on your credit report. Confirm your email if you have to. Always make sure you subscribe to emails (sometimes they send you the preapproval letter via email!).
- Add a few items to your shopping cart. I’ve had the most luck putting around $100 in the cart with multiple items. You can always change it if you don’t get the offer right away. Try $100 first, then $50, then $150. Those are usually the best options to start with.
- Continue to checkout. Act as if you’re going to buy all the items. Go to the checkout page and type in all of your billing information. Give it a second and type slowly. Don’t use autofill to put in your info (for whatever reason this will stop the method from working). Don’t buy the items or click the final submit button.
- Wait for the comenity bank pre approval popup. If you did this correctly, a popup will appear offering you a credit card! If it asks you for the last four of your social, you know the shopping cart trick worked.
- Rinse and repeat. Grab as many cards as you like! If it doesn’t work right away, check your email in the next few days. You can also try multiple sites to build your overall credit line.
Best Shopping Cart Trick Stores
There are a few stores that work best with the shopping cart trick. Most people report that the Express comenity credit cart gives a high chance of showing up, and I know the Overstock card gives credit limits that are higher than most. Our friend Tonia also got approved for over $8000 with no credit check!
Buckle gives out a lot of cards through comenity bank as well so the shopping cart trick should work good for that one pretty easily. Those are going to be the easiest comenity cards to get. As stated before, pick three that you want and try them a few times. If they don’t show, make sure your popup blocker is off. When all else fails try three more until you get one!
Credit Score Tips
Getting cards with the shopping cart trick will definitely boost your score a good deal, but if you want to reach your credit score goals, you’re going to have to follow a whole system. The truth is that credit cards can help your credit score, but there are other factors that heavily weigh into how that score is calculated. You’re going to have to attack your bad credit from all angles if you wan’t to have major results.
That’s why we’ve created a crazy-simple system that can show how to step-by-step increase your score to 700 and beyond! In fact, by using the methods laid out in our Flawless Credit Guide, our students are able to repair and rebuild their credit so they can finance their new home, car, and amp up their lifestyle.
The Bottom Line
To summarize, the shopping cart trick is a great way to get a credit card without actually having a hard pull on your report. It can also help someone with bad credit get approved for a card that they normally wouldn’t be able to get.
Remember my tips! If you don’t get the popup, go to the next one. And if you need a little personal help, schedule a free consultation, and we’ll be happy to help. It’s what we do.